To be a Merperson is to exist both in the material world and in the world of expanded consciousness. Please help us set a a good example for our community by participating in a manner that promotes and role models expanded awareness, compassion, nonviolence, and stewardship towards each other and our environment. Most importantly we want to be able to continue to do this amazing event!
Safety & Respect
All rivers and garbage flow to the Ocean! As Merpeople we are mindful of carbon and environmental footprints, and seek to reduce this footprint when and wherever possible.
Please help this event practice sustainable creativity by:
Other Rules & Event Disclaimers
- PERSONAL SAFTEY DISCLAIMER: All parade participants should know that while there are no expected instances of danger, personal risk, or injury, this IS a public event being held outdoors, so there is always a certain level of risk present. The First Annual Portlandia Parade and its associated organizers are not responsible for any physical or financial losses, or personal injuries, which may arise as a result of acts of nature, inclement weather, accident, terrorist attacks, or from other public behaviors in violation of community agreements and event rules.
- SWIMMING DISCLAIMER: Any and all swimming at Poets Beach is an AT YOUR OWN RISK activity. The Portlandia Mermaid Parade is not responsible or held liable for any forms of losses or injuries as a result of public swimming. The Portlandia Mermaid Parade recommends that all swimmers, especially children wear appropropriate lifejackets. Individuals who are not competent swimmers should not attempt to swim in a professional mono fin/mermaid tail, and should know they are at increased safety risk, specifically in a natural body of water. Tying ones legs together and jumping in the water is NOT good mermaid safety, and is frowned upon by real mermaids :)
- ON FLOATS: Vehicular floats, or motor assisted floats (not including disability personal assistance devices) are NOT permitted at this time. Smaller, hand push floats which easily fit within the size parameters of an average sidewalk width are ok, and encouraged. Any floats deemed too large or are determined to block sidewalk paths will not be permitted in the parade. If you have questions regarding specific float push float dimensions please inquire within.
- ON VENDORS: Currently the framework for this event is just a parade. Vendors of any-kind who wish to sell goods, wares, or food must do so under their own license and permits in accordance with the City of Portland. The parade is not organizing or having any official vendors at this time, though this may be a possibility for future parade events.
- ON ARTISTIC NUDITY: Those who elect to go bare breasted may want to consider the use of shells, pasties or body paint to help decrease the risk of law officials interpreting the toplessness as lewd. There are no Portland laws regarding toplessness. Indecency laws in Portland specifically refer to the revealing of genitalia for the purposes of causing sexual arousal, or in matters of public sexual acts. Bare breasts have often not been interpreted as genitalia, but people should be aware that the matter is somewhat left to personal interpretation of law officials. Anyone ticketed or cited as a result of accused lewdness or indecency have been for-warned, and so the First Annual Mermaid Parade supports the freedom of artistic expression. However, the event and its associated organizers are not responsible for any fines or consequences that may arise as a result of people electing to express this freedom.
- ON PETS: Portland is a town of animal lovers. However large public events such as parades are not always pet friendly spaces. There can be loud noises, large crowds, and the summer heat can burn and dehydrate pets quickly. Please use discretion if you decide to bring a furry companion to the parade, and be sure to follow all leash and scooping ordinances in accordance with Portland Public Parks. If you do decide to bring a pet or service animal, please help ensure their safety and well-being and the safety, and well-being of others. This is a family friendly event, so if your pet does not like other people or children, this is probably NOT the event to bring them to.
- ON SMOKING: Please help us maintain a happy and healthy event environment for all. The Portlandia Mermaid Parade asks smokers to refrain from smoking any substance during the parade as to limit the discomfort and harms associated with second hand smoke. Since the parade occurs at a large public park space, please be mindful, and simply take your smoke break aside from the crowds. Please be sure to also put cigarette butts in proper ashtrays to reduced pollution and fire. Thank You!
- ON SELF-CARE: Please bring sunscreen, drinking water, hat, sunglasses, and snacks for self care. This event will be happening mid-summer, and heat stroke is a reality.